it was a super hard decision for me to decide what to do for jack for kindergarten. i agonized over it way more than i should have. part of the problem was that our town has ALOT of great schooling options. christian schools, neighborhood schools, home school enrichment programs... another thing is that the goal of my parenting is to raise little men who love God with all their hearts and bring glory to His name. having the most well educated and successful kids is not my goal.
if that's the case, then why am i sending jack?
if i get her permission, i'll post an awesome write up my sweet friend and one of our pastor's wives did on why they home school. for now though, here's why we don't...at least not this year for jack.
if that's the case, then why am i sending jack?
if i get her permission, i'll post an awesome write up my sweet friend and one of our pastor's wives did on why they home school. for now though, here's why we don't...at least not this year for jack.

selfishly, i'm excited for someone else to teach jack to read and write. he's always been kinda stubborn for me in this area. mrs. shockley can be the bad guy (well, gal).
and here's the truth. i'm just gonna say it. jack's smart. i know. i'm that mom. but it's true (have you met jack?), and the charter school he's at is amazing. he's learning latin, economics, math, geography, phonics...in depth. they also emphasize responsibility, respect, integrity, cooperation, citizenship, perseverance, self-control. sound biblical? i know! but, it's not a christian school...which i LOVE. we're training jack to be a light in the darkness. however, he's 5. so if a school's gonna have christian values and morals with a christian head master and christian teachers (jack's is), but give my son the opportunity to speak of his faith to non-believing friends (which has happened) i'm in. and, it's only 2 full days and friday afternoon. not bad.
and here's the truth. i'm just gonna say it. jack's smart. i know. i'm that mom. but it's true (have you met jack?), and the charter school he's at is amazing. he's learning latin, economics, math, geography, phonics...in depth. they also emphasize responsibility, respect, integrity, cooperation, citizenship, perseverance, self-control. sound biblical? i know! but, it's not a christian school...which i LOVE. we're training jack to be a light in the darkness. however, he's 5. so if a school's gonna have christian values and morals with a christian head master and christian teachers (jack's is), but give my son the opportunity to speak of his faith to non-believing friends (which has happened) i'm in. and, it's only 2 full days and friday afternoon. not bad.

sounds romantic and all, but i'm still struggling some days about not keeping jack home. some of the things i totally miss about jack being at school is scripture memory, heart training, and for jack to "rub up" against his brothers (for the good and the bad). i definitely notice jack coming home with attitude, and i'm not really good at keeping up with the millions of papers or volunteering in his class (i mean, i do work part-time). he has to memorize a poem a month to recite in front of the class, and it's hard to work that in with scripture memory being my priority. maybe the fact that i pulled jack from school for 2 weeks speaks of my commitment level. hmmmm...
anywho, liberty common school is the decision that we feel God clearly led us to for jack's kindergarten. He's been very gracious to give me creativity in training jack at home.
here are some ways we're working it in and reinforcing a christian worldview while he's home:
-when jack practices handwriting at home, he's copying verses. this was actually all his idea. it's also become a form of punishment (think "let no unwholesome talk come out of your mouth" 5 times).
-i've become WAY more purposeful with using scripture and emphasizing sin while disciplining (another post).
-we were at the table doing make-up school work (2 weeks hits ya hard) and talking about the earth's rotation and watched tim mckenzies' "God Said" (linked here) it's amazing.
-it's brought up opportunity to talk to jack about the fact that not everyone believes. hard, but good convo.
thanks for sticking with the loooong post ;) probably more like this in the future. sorry. as more ideas come along i'll pass them on, and i'd love for you to do the same!




7 comments:
Good for you Meaghan! You and Jon know best what God wants for Jack and it is wonderful that he can be a witness! I am still struggling with it but since we haven't found an awesome school like you have we are still leaning homeschool but we'll see what the future holds we can always be flexible! Great post it reminded me that besides the devotions we have been doing I can't forget little scriptures for her to memorize! Thanks!
Love it Meaghan! I thought through it a LOT as well. read books, met with people..but when Davis at age 5 begged us to send him to school...that was our decision. same reasoning as yours! love the having them write verses for penmanship practice! & for discipline. excellent!
thanks for sharing Meg:). We have to be comfortable in our own skin on this one and trust God's lead for our families, one year at a time as Travis and I often say. Trav and I always want to use our kid's heart's as a gauge. Emma loves talking about Jesus with her friends who don't know him (she's braver than I am and I could stand to learn A LOT from her in that respect). There have been lots of hard social lessons to learn this year while she's been at school, but they are conversations and lessons she simply would not have learned had she not been "in the world". You know I've struggled with this same thing...we SO need to get together, maybe a double date, to talk about all this and encourage one another:).
love you!
Sarah
Homeschooling,It is not for me. Some women do it, and do it great, but for me, I choose school. I believe you just have to know your kid, and you and only you know what works best for him/her! Great post! Merry Christmas!
I have been following your blog for a while now and I have almost asked you that exact question so many times... I have a four year old girl and I am trying to figure out what to do and I feel at such a loss. I struggle with being perceived as a non loving mom bc I dont homeschool, and I fear of becoming a not nice mom if I do. I love your honesty and I love that yall made a decision and stuck it out. Thanks for the inspiration and I love hearing and seeing your beautiful babies!
Thanks for the post! I seriously pray daily about that decision. And every school day for the past two years I get a little sad when I drop them off, and get a little giddy when I pick them up. But it is where we are supposed to be right now...a public school. It has allowed some deep, spiritual conversation. My kids know that others believe different things and that we passionately follow Christ in a world that does not. But I keep saying, "We'll see next year!"
I am a public school teacher and a Christian, but I have to say we struggled on this decision, too. However, all of the reasons you stated are the reasons my boys are in public school. The school emphasizes Christian values and allows my boys to understand that everybody is different. They are also learning to stand their ground spiritually in a "public" that does not always understand their personal values. The education, both social and academic, has been priceless. Not to mention we pray together every morning on the way to school, and that starts our day off right!
Post a Comment