Memoirs of Childhood

Thursday, January 17

Life After iPhones



Photobucket

is it possible that we are the only people in the known world to revert back to regular old phones from iphones?

well, it's true. 
we haven't had iphones since july, i believe.
and we're still here.
and the sun still rises in the east.

when jon came back from the dominican republic this summer, we decided to simplify our lives in many ways. 
now, in many ways we already have a more simple life, being a one car family and all. 
but iphones in particular just seemed so...superfluous. (i love that word)

it's honestly amazing at how little i truly miss an iphone.  i was completely onboard with the decision to free ourselves from the constant awesomeness of ondemand internet and instagram, but i thought i'd miss the "convenience" far more than i have.

we no longer need a "time out" box for phones so we have undivided family or one-on-one boy time.
we no longer worry about where our phones are.  at all times.
there are no small children trying to sneak them away from us while we're writing "really important texts" at the dinner table.
there's no flipping through instagram while bathing the children.
i also no longer get to use my google app in the car, which is admittedly difficult.

so here's the skinny. 
we have cheap and easy phones with a little keyboard on them.
remember those?
we still can use our iphones when there's available wifi like, you know, everywhere.  the gym, mcdonald's, starbucks, barnes and nobles, our house.

basically they've become ipod touches with apps and games and music and stuff still on them.

so our faces aren't constantly illuminated by a deathly blue glow, and our conversations with the people sitting right beside us are fully engaged in without the "status checking" of people we barely remember how we met.

if i had an iphone 5 handed to me today, i wouldn't turn it down.
i am a firm believer in apple products of all kinds :)
we own many white electronics, if ya know what i'm sayin'.
our iphone hiatus is indefinite, and it's been a huge relief for our family. 
dad's more present.
mom's more present.
life's a bit simpler.
we put the "data usage fee" savings towards a gym membership.

and i won't think less of you if you're using an iphone :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just enjoyed your post from my I-phone and I am totally feelin' much of what you said! =)

Olivia said...

How awesome of you guys! I was just thinking last night as I was bathing Cooper and checking my phone that I need to leave my phone in the other room while I'm doing my nighttime routine with him. I mainly keep it by my side constantly to take pictures of him but instead I need to just keep my camera with me! I'm feeling inspired by you guys right now, especially about the gym.. I SO need to be in the gym.