Memoirs of Childhood

Monday, August 18

And When Your Son's Room is a Storm Shelter...

howdy nesters, here's my failed mistreatment, but you might be able to use the idea. jack's room is the basement's "storm shelter." it's a smaller room made of concrete walls. it's an escape incase of tornado's, which sadly, are not uncommon here. (i just realized that this sounds insane if you don't know the whole story! we're living with other people while we're in transition. we're ALL in the basement!)


kinda creepy, huh? i wasn't sure i could do anything to make this imposing room cozy for my skittish three year old.
but alas, ta da!

soooo, i had the brain child that i'd just hang fabric on the walls to make it (as my friend hallie has said) like the inside of a sewing box. i bought $12 king size brown sheets at walmart, and $1/ yd blue gingham fabric, also from my most hated store on the planet, walmart. i tried upholstery tacks, nails, velcro and sticky tack to get that stuff to hang. end result...one little blue panel. it would have been so cute! it all hung for about 15 minutes with the velcro. aparently you can't nail into concrete. oh well, turns out a cozy lamp and his old furniture made it homey enough.

i should add that the red table was $15 at a garage sale, and it came that color, the gorgeous red chair was my hubby's grandmothers, and i sewed (hate me) the pillowcase. i made the lampshade too. i should have a tutorial on that. it was $2 at a garage sale. i sprayed it, and covered the shade in the fabric for the boys room. there are also matching curtains i sewed (yes more sewing), and a cord cover in red bandana i...sewed.

10 comments:

Christina said...

I think you did a fantastic job making his room into a very inviting, cozy place. The gingham fabric really works. The colors and furniture are great too. Love the red table.

Ame... said...

I think his room looks cute and cozy!

Connie said...

You see I'm not the only one who can't stand Walmart. I even worked there right out of high school and hated it then. What was I thinking.

I think you did a great job with the bedroom. I'm such a fan of red and my eye is drawn to the side table right away.

You have a very beautiful family. Thanks for stopping by.

Ps. the kitchen makeover isn't mine, it's one of my clients that I glazed. But so doable for anyone.
~Connie

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Oh that stinks that nothing would stick--you had such a good plan! I do love that red table...what a find!!

~ Sarah

Bonita said...

I'm amazed at the transformation you created in that room! If I was just looking at the second picture I would never have guessed it was a basement storm cellar. The blue on the wall definitely softens it and makes it seem more friendly. Great work, Mom!

Twice as Nice said...

Great job on the bedroom in the basement! You would never know. And your two little guys are soooooo precious!!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

meg...you always make me proud!!!

fun fun fun! and when do i get to come and visit the storm cellar???

i'm so glad you posted these pics. i feel better about those poor boys in the mansion now! ha! anyway, it doesn't look so much diff than their 'normal' room. And, you got to do a project! Yeah! Love projects!!! And, love Grandma's chair in there! Soooooo much fun!

Oh, that reminds me...I need a lampshade! For P's room...I know you can help! Miss I'm so good at lampshades!!!

miss u...and love you! oh, and get a stinking phone that works! ha!

Shellie said...

Wow, what a transformation! Really, that is amazing! I like the punches of red too. It adds that extra something.

And, yes, I am nursing. =) What is time? My days blur together. Haha!

Anonymous said...

hi! just wanted to reply about the Jack button... i made it at picnik.com they have really great ways to do customs photos too. his room looks great by the way!

Screaming Meme said...

It looks great!!!!